Who would have thought that a bachelor’s degree in Slavic languages, literature, and linguistics would turn out a career in brewing?
After 12 years at Oskar Blues, Tim was appointed VP of Global Brewing for CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective, the ownership group of Oskar Blues, Cigar City, Deep Ellum, Perrin, Squatters, Three Weavers, and Wasatch.
This podcast episode reflects on some research Tim was doing for the production of “Death by Coconut” the brought him to a coffee shop, a phone conversation with an enthusiastic man named Ira, and a whole new destiny for a product called Cholaca.
Cholaca was founded in 2012 when its CEO and Founder, Ira Leibtag observed the market was missing a liquid cacao option, so he created a beverage made from raw cacao that he soon dubbed Cholaca. Always a fine chef, Leibtag owned and operated the specialty foods purveyor, Corner Gourmet in Boulder, Colorado. With the same passion he’s brought to all his other endeavors, he manages Cholaca’s operations and growth.
With an extensive background as an inventor and entrepreneur in both the business and the creative worlds, Leibtag has worked at startups in high-tech, travel, and food. Originally a professional musician, Ira founded Oz Productions, a Toronto-based audio production company that created TV and film scores including work on notable productions such as “Jurassic Park – The Lost World”. Recruited to the United States in the late 1990s, Leibtag began working for a series of startups including MatchLogic, digital marketing pioneers. Later, under the same management, he worked with at MatchLogic, Leibtag served as vice president of Business Development for Quintess, a premier luxury residence club.
SEASON 2, EPISODE 3: LIFE IS LIKE A BUCKET OF CHOLACA
TOBY TUCKER – DIRECTOR OF SALES, COUNTRY MALT GROUP
TIM MATTHEWS – VP OF GLOBAL BREWING, CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective (OSKAR BLUES, CIGAR CITY, DEEP ELLUM, PERRIN, SQUATTERS, THREE RIVERS, AND WASATCH)
IRA LEIBTAG – FOUNDER & CEO, CHOLACA
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guests, Tim Matthews of CANarchy Craft Brewery Collective (Oskar Blues, Cigar City, Deep Ellum, Perrin, Squatters, Three Weavers, and Wasatch) and Ira Leibtag of Cholaca.
- Tim shares how he came across Cholaca.
- Ira tells us about the opportunity to put Cholaca in the hands of a brewer.
- How Tim and Ira optimized their process.
- Tim lists the difference between Cholaca, cacao nibs, and baker’s disks.
- Ira talks about Cholaca’s journey since teaming up with CANarchy.
- Ira shares information about their new product, Liquid Coconut.
- We talk about the shelf life of Cholaca and Liquid Coconut.
- The similarities and differences between Cholaca and Liquid Coconut.
- Ira chats about how his company is leading the way toward sustainability.