Dr. Axel Göhler is the third-generation president of this traditional German malting company now called Best Malz. His grandfather Max Göhler started the company 120 years ago, his father turned it into a leading German malting company, and in the year 2014, Axel took over the management of the family business from his older brother.
Göhler earned a doctorate degree in international business from St. Gall University in Switzerland. He wrote and defended his doctoral thesis on “The Success of German Family Breweries.” For ten years, Göhler worked as a strategy consultant for the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). Afterward, he managed his own consulting firm in Hamburg together with partners before returning to Heidelberg to take the helm of company leadership.
Outside of the maltings, Dr. Göhler enjoys nature, hunting, German shorthair dogs, Arabian horses, travel, and of course, beers brewed with Best Malz.
EPISODE 3: BEER, THE GERMAN WAY
TOBY TUCKER – SENIOR DIVISION MANAGER, COUNTRY MALT GROUP
DR. AXEL GÖHLER – PRESIDENT, BESTMALZ
LUTHER PAUL – HEAD BREWER, LAKEFRONT BREWING
SOME OF THE TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Axel speaks about the history of BestMalz and how it came to be the malting company it is today.
- Axel talks about barley seed selection and the effects.
- Discussion about BestMalz Heidleberg Wheat and Heidleberg Pilsen Malts.
- Some interesting facts about Oktoberfest and “Fest beer.”
- Luther Paul talks about the history of Lakefront Brewing and how it was formed.